Preparing for your summer holiday can be a stressful time especially if you have small children. Trying to remember everything but not take too much can prove to be a challenge. I am one of those types of people who wants to take everything, and then Doug will come along and look at me like I am crazy. I am usually very organised though from sorting out holiday insurance right up to remembering snacks and things to keep the kids occupied on the plane. Here are a few tip to make going on holiday a little easier.
- GO SHOPPING – I always go shopping and buy some new bits for the kids to keep them occupied on the plane. Colouring books, pens and pencils, activity books and anything else you think your children will like.
- INSURANCE – This is a big one and one that NO ONE should travel without especially if you are going abroad. I can not stress enough how important this is. If you travel abroad without insurance and you or anyone in the party becomes ill the chances are it is going to cost you a lot of money. We have been abroad for the last 5 years and every single time we have had to use our insurance. Unfortunately Little Man seems to suffer really badly with ear infections when going into a swimming pool. A simple trip to the docs and some antibiotics sorts it out. The doctors abroad just ask for proof of the insurance and usually they take a photocopy, you pay the excess if you have one and it really is that simple to use. Yes it will cost you to take out a policy however the cost of the policy is nothing compared to the cost if you go abroad without insurance and find yourself in need of medical assistance. If you are unsure who to go with you can search the web for Health and Travel Insurance or get a quote with BUPA Global.
- LISTS – I am a list writer, some of you may not be a list person but I find this really helps me out so much. I write lists for what I need to buy ready for the holiday, I then write a list of what I need to remember to pack in the cases. I usually write a list the night before we go away to remind me of anything that we need to sort in the house before leaving. Having a list stops me forgetting anything when packing and that way I also can rest assured that I have everything I need, toiletries, chargers, plug adaptors, swimwear, snacks for the kids and so on.
- BE EARLY – I like to get everything laid out the week before we go away. This includes the clothes we will be taking, shoes and everything else. That way I know where everything is and I can double check everything is ready just to be packed into the case. If there is anything I don’t know where it is, I then have time to either go out and buy another OR have a hunt around the house for it. Best to be early than leave it all till last minute and be rushing around like a headless chicken trying to find items the night before you are going away.
- FACEBOOK – have a look on facebook to see if there are any groups for the hotel you are going to. This can be really beneficial when packing. You can find lot of information from these groups and it may save you weight and space in your case. You are able to ask questions and get replies from people currently at the hotel or previous guest. I always look to join these hotel groups before we go away and find everyone in them is very helpful with any questions. You may want to ask if there are any shops close by. If you are travelling with a baby if there are shops close by this may save you space and weight on taking lots of nappies with you when you can buy them there. You may want to find out if your hotel provides pool towels, if they do then you may not want to take your own this will again save you space and weight.
- Charge – Make sure any devices are fully charged. Devices such as iPads or tablets that are going to make life a little easier for you. I don’t like my kids being on the iPads loads however when we are traveling I really have no issues with them being on them if it keeps them happy. Making sure the devices are fully charged is a must for us.