Lots of you may not be able to afford a whole new kitchen. I know when we moved into our current home we couldn’t afford to replace the kitchen straight away. So I have decided to put together my list of top 10 cheap ish ideas to brighten up and transform your kitchen.
- Cupboard doors… Some simple paint on the doors could make a big difference to your kitchen. We used to have the old dark wooden kitchen when we first moved. I painted it a light cream colour and it really made a huge difference and brightened up the whole room. The paint wont cost the earth and the finished effect can make the biggest difference.
- Worktops… You can cover your work tops with a film to make them look more modern. There are many different films you can use such as white marble which looks great. They cost a fraction of replacing the work tops and it is a quick fix to make another big difference in your kitchen.
- Handles… New handles don’t have to cost lots, you can buy cheap new handles once you have painted the doors. You can find new handles in man DIY shops, you could even try to source second hand ones to save even more money.
- Backsplash… you can add a really cheap backsplash behind your cooker, this is a much cheaper way than adding new tiles. You can choose from many different colours as well so you are sure to find something that fits in with your kitchen colour.
- Decoration… Add some decoration to your kitchen, some nice plants on the window sill I personally think looks lovely. You could even buy your own herb kit to stand on the window sill, not only does it look pretty it is useful as well
- Blinds… Add a new blind to your kitchen window to brighten it up for summer. Direct Blinds have some lovely blinds if you are looking at sprucing up for the summer. I absolutely love this green colour, but if you are looking for something brighter there are red, oranges, yellow and lots more.
- Wallpaper... This is one that I have only just heard about but it sounds fab and seems to work amazingly. Wallpaper your floor and then add around 5 coats of floor varnish on top, this method then makes it water and spill proof. Whilst I have never tried this method i have only heard really good things about it. This is also a lot cheaper than replacing your floor with wooden or vinyl flooring.
- Lights… Add a new light if your one is old and not so nice looking. Lights can be picked up fairly cheap and can really make a big difference. I remember when we moved into our home the lights were old some bulbs were blow and parts of them were broken. We bought new lights in the kitchen with 4 lights on one fixture and it really made a big difference. We didn’t realise how dull it was at night before we swapped the light.
- Following on from ceiling lights you can also add cheap lights under the cupboards which look really nice. not only do they look really nice they help so much when prepping food at night time.
If you are looking to update your kitchen hopefully this will give you a few ideas on things you can do that wont cost the earth.
Let me know below if you have tried any of these, I would be particularly interested if anyone has done the wallpaper on the floor one.